Monday, March 25, 2013

My Favourite Thrifts - Room Decor

I know a lot of other lovely ladies and gents in the blogging community are already well-aware of the unique joy that comes with thrifting. Every time I walk into a Goodwill or Value Village, I feel like a kid on an Easter egg hunt, minus the post-chocolate-sugar crash. Over the past couple of months, I've acquired a lot weird/really awesome stuff to decorate my room after it was re-painted from green and pink (think Maybelline mascara bottle) to its current demure beige. I was originally going for a mature look, but then realized that I'm still 22 and still live at home with my parents, who have always thought I was a bit off. Regardless, I'd love to share some of my favourites with all of you.

The "Itty-Bitty-Kitty-Committee"
I'm pretty impressed with myself, in that I've trained my boyfriend to be a lean, mean, thrifting machine and spot things I'd like when we're shopping together. He even knows my preferred department order (start with the shoes and bags, move to novelties, books, and house decor...) I am his sensei and he my thrifitng grasshopper. Anyways, he spotted this amazing, stuffed cat pillow that currently resides on my bedroom floor. The Committee already crept up in the background of other posts, like Michelle's most recent outfit post. It's adorable and just ridiculous enough that I'm still enamoured with them. We're still working out names for each cat, but I think Matt's leaning for all the dwarves from The Hobbit (though personally, I hope we skip Thorin, because he's a bit of a moody princess at times, just saying).

Three (of I think and original five) Elephant Stacking Dolls
My obsession with stacking dolls began when I visited Ellis Island in New York two summers ago and bought my first lovely set of five, handmade pieces. Since then, I've been lucky enough to acquire a few more used sets that I can't wait to show off in a future post. I bought this set even though it was incomplete because I love that they're elephants and still in great shape!

 Bunny Tea Mug with Lid
I was so stoked to have my regular evening Chai tea in this badboy the night I got home but found it couldn't really stand-up to boiling water (and now has a small crack in the side - sad forever). I still so do not regret the $2.00 I spent! I'm currently using it to store a lovely gift from Matt, featuring tiny scrolls of paper full of lovely little messages for when I need a pick-me-up. Plus it's just so happy - look at its wee smiling face. Tee hee.

Wicker Picnic Basket
There's usually an abundance of old wicker/woodwork stuff at most thrift stores and I've found them to be the perfect storage tools, as opposed to less glamorous tupperware. I use this large box to store my collection of classy lounge footwear (read: worn out slippers).

Stained-Glass Candle Holder
This candle-holder gives me a reason to use the bajillion tea-light pack I bought at Ikea on a whim some time ago. I love the colours, which can actually be eerily calming during a middle-of-the-night exam prep extravaganza. I'd love to have a full-out candelabra, but I don't really trust myself with things like fire or responsibility.

What are you favourite thrifitng treasures? I'd love to know!

Happy Monday! 
Amanda :)


4 comments:

  1. Hi Ladies! I love your blog and just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out my blog for details at http://owlandolive.blogspot.com/2013/03/what-honor-ive-been-liebstered.html. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thanks so much for the nomination! Look out for a future post on it. :) Your blog is great too - I've followed you on GFC. Have a great day! :D

      Delete
  2. I'm in love with your stuffed cat pillow xD I'm following you on bloglovin now, can't wait for more!

    hall-of-randomness.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - thanks, I'm pretty obsessed with it too. :) I've followed you back on Bloglovin. Have a great day!

      Delete